FAQ…Answering Some of Your Most Common Questions About Some Common Electrical Problems.


Q: Why do my kitchen appliances keep tripping the circuit breaker?

A: This common problem is easily explained; too many power-hungry appliances on too few weak circuits. If you are tired of resetting your breakers during every Iron Chef session in your kitchen, call us at 831–998–1746.  We’ll install some 20-amp circuits, bring your kitchen up to code, and make your home’s electrical system safe.

Q: What is a GFCI outlet?

A: A ground fault circuit interrupter is a device that protects people from electrical shock by monitoring the flow of current through the outlet’s circuit. If an imbalance between the hot and ground poles is detected, the circuit trips. In California, GFCI outlets or circuit breakers are required for kitchens, bathrooms, garages, basements and exterior areas.

Q: How do I reset my tripped circuit breaker?

A: Most circuit breaker trips are caused by overload conditions. When you lose power, go to your breaker panel and open the panel door. Locate the circuit breaker that tripped (it will be in the middle position and feel loose and unlatched). Flip it to the open (off) position, then to the closed (on) position. If the breaker immediately trips again after resetting you may have a more serious problem. Call Fehn Electric for help.

Q: What are your labor rates?

A: Fehn Electric charges by the job and not by the hour.  We use  “Flat Rate” pricing software that assigns a total cost to each electrical job task by figuring in labor hours and parts to be used.  This uniform pricing structure benefits you because you will approve every estimate before work begins and the quoted price stays the same regardless of how long the job takes. Included in the flat rate price are all necessary materials and labor hours.

Q: Are you qualified to work on my electrical system?

A: Yes. Fehn Electric is fully licensed, bonded and insured to operate as a C-10 electrical contractor in the state of California.  My California C10 license number is 971567.   You may check my contractor’s license by visiting www.cslb.ca.gov. Fehn Electric will furnish a Certificate of Liability Insurance  upon request.  I also maintain my California Certification as a Journeyman Electrician.

Q: My house is dark and there are not enough lighting fixtures to brighten things up, how can I fix this without spending a lot of money?

A: Recessed can lights are the affordable way to go. Not only are they good for general use, but they can be used for task lighting, wall washers and accent lighting. They are installed quickly and high quality fixtures and material are relatively inexpensive. Recessed cans installed with LED lamps will make your home energy efficient and confidently bright.